The resources and ideas shared on this website and in the ebook, “Talk with Media: Simple Ideas for Powerful Sharing,” are just the beginning. The following links can also assist you in your journey to become a more skilled and effective multimedia communicator!
- VoiceThread is my favorite digital storytelling website and creation environment. It does not neatly fit into the “images” or “audio” categories because it allows interactive audio to be added to photos. The education version of VoiceThread (ed.voicethread.com) includes more free features than the standard version. The VoiceThread 4 Education wiki includes numerous examples of VoiceThreads organized by grade level and content area.
- The educational version of Glogster (edu.glogster.com) provides a media-rich environment for creating websites as well as embedded “multimedia posters” for other sites and pages.
- Alan Levine‘s “50+ Web 2.0 Ways to Tell a Story” is a superb project with links to many other web-based digital storytelling tools.
- Software Options
- YouTube playlist by wfryer of Stopmotion movies
- Doink for iPad (see “Playing with Doink Animation”)
- Storychasers is a nonprofit focused on empowering digital witnesses to constructively share their voices and archive community history on the global stage (Marco Torres‘ term for the Internet)
- talkwithmedia.wikispaces.com includes numerous examples of student-created digital storytelling examples. This wiki project was started by Carol Jordan and Wesley Fryer in September 2010 at the Learning.2010 conference in Shanghai, China.
- Tony Vincent‘s LearningInHand.com website has fantastic resources about using iPod Touches, iPads, netbooks, and other mobile devices for classroom learning, including multimedia production
- Video in the Classroom.com
- Digital Storytelling Tools for Educators by Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano (free ebook, $8.50 paperback)
- Teach With Video: A Practical Guide to Integrate Digital Video Projects into the Subject You Teach by Steven Katz ($40 paperback)
- Moviemakers’ Master Class: Private Lessons from the World’s Foremost Directors by Laurent Tirard ($10 paperback)
Presentations / Podcasts
- Film School for Video Podcasters by Mathew Needleman (2008 K-12 Online Conference)
- Project Based Learning in Hand by Tony Vincent (2010 K-12 Online Conference)
- Photo 365 Projects (Seedlings audio podcast from 6 Jan 2011)
- I Like Delicious Things: An Introduction to Tagging and Folksonomies by Chris Betcher (2008 K-12 Online Conference – this is a great intro to Flickr and many other concepts/ideas)
- By Wesley Fryer